Countries: How small is too small?

Lux maps won't make themselves.
SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Countries: How small is too small?

Post by SunTzu » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:10 am

From a usability standpoint, I'm interested in how small a country can be before it's too small to be effective.

Take a look at some maps and let me know what countries are just barely too small. Take Sanguo Zhi, for instance... are the hexagons too small?

Also, if a map has small countries, do people turn the army graphics off?

And finally, if a map had a lot of small countries, would people be willing to scroll the map in order to effectively use the small countries? (Probably not for online games...)

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:17 am

I'm not going to spend time canvassing all my maps, but I will tell you

1) Indonesia in Art of War is borderline too small - too skinny and spread out to click consistently, and

2) I ALWAYS play with army graphics turned off. They annoy me no matter what map I'm playing.

mollyemo
Lux Newbie

Post by mollyemo » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:41 am

1. To me, it's not as much how small it is, as how easy it is to click on. So as long as it's large enough for me to see it, it's fine, but if the army graphics or numbers get in my way, and I just have to click click click, that gets annoying fast. Especially if I think I have all of a continent and then suddenly get attacked from within because I couldn't see a country.

So if the countries are spread out (like in Sanguo Zhi), it is never a problem, especially if they are of uniform size and shape. But some of the smaller countries in, say, Great Britain & Eire are really annoying because the graphics tend to get in the way.

2. I kind of like the army graphics, but I might consider turning them off. You might want to mention that in the description if you make a map with small, packed countries.

3.No. Scrolling *really* annoys me, even more than having to guess where to click for a country.

Sir Holo
Old Skool Lurker

Post by Sir Holo » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:07 pm

mollyemo wrote:1. To me, it's not as much how small it is, as how easy it is to click on.
If you wanted, you <i>could</i> make a tiny country easy to click. Imagine a tiny island. In the map file, define the country to be 4x bigger than you want it. Then use a foreground.jpg graphic that covers most of it up. Voila, sloppy clickers can click it. You can also keep the borders if you're clever...

Army graphics? Off.

Scrolling? Never.

Blind Willie
Lux Veteran

Post by Blind Willie » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:47 pm

The hexagons in Sanguo Zhi are just fine. Was playing it last night and had no problems at all, even after I shrunk the map to a height of 510.

The American Civil War map is a good example of too-tiny-territories. I have a love-hate relationship with that map. I love it until I try to take out a player in the New England area, misclick, blow the game, and remove the map from my system for another 3 months. :evil:

I always play with army graphics off. I've never made it through a full game with them turned on -- too distracting.

And I will never play a map that I have to scroll on. Ever.

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:54 pm

Sir Holo wrote:If you wanted, you <i>could</i> make a tiny country easy to click. Imagine a tiny island. In the map file, define the country to be 4x bigger than you want it. Then use a foreground.jpg graphic that covers most of it up. Voila, sloppy clickers can click it. You can also keep the borders if you're clever...
Great idea Sir Holo! I'll incorporate that juicy tip when I finally get around to updating Art of War.