Monday Night Lux : Is Back ..... For Good?

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
smedz
Lux Scotsman

Monday Night Lux : Is Back ..... For Good?

Post by smedz » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:11 pm

As I alluded to last week, I wan't to try and see if we can get some hosts running with a new style of etiquette and game play, thus I will be starting this tomorrow night. I'll probably kick off 7pm ish GMT and run it for the best part of the night, through until the wee small hours.

I'd like to laydown some ground rules and see if we can make it work.

Games will in all likliehood be classic with small or no % uplift. Shuffle will be off, however I want to ensure everyone plays thus, the first rule will be

1. Winner and 6th Place stay on Everyone else guests out and only if we need players do they get to guest back in. This way we should get 4 fresh faces per game.

I want to avoid disputes thus I'd like to suggest

2. No Negotiation It is okay to let people know your intention, but not okay to demand they move for you. Sensible players will know to farm continents in which they are weak, however as most disputes arrise from the "Why are you still in NA" debate, I'd like to remove the potential by removing the request.

I want to avoid vindictive play, thus ...

3. Any revenge suicides, Asshatting or Deliberate ploys to wreck another players enjoyment will result in immediate banning I appreciate that this may be difficult to police, however we are all long enough in the tooth to know when someone is unlucky as opposed to stupid/nasty.

I want to avoid unpleasantness, thus.

4. No WTF's etc. At the end of the all we should hear is GG. Polite strategic discussion is acceptable, however this often overspills into aggression and abuse, lets try and keep that to a minimum.

I would like to post a league table after the nights games, showing games played, won, lost and overall %. I intend updating this each week and maybe if it catches on we can do something a little more serious.

I hope those that have complained about the bad game attitudes in recent weeks will feel compelled to come along and try out something new, hopefully the rules will be seen as collectively advantageous, rather than personally motivated.

Lets try and promote an ethos of mutual congratulations rather than criticism. I can see, if this works it perhaps turning into a small team set up, with players playing for a collective group but individually. Lets not get ahead of ourselves though.

Please make other suggestions, I'm flexible.

Hope it works and hope it doesn't fall on its arse.

ian
Last edited by smedz on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 30 times in total.

Black Pope
Lux Exorcist

Post by Black Pope » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:27 pm

What a fine idea...sign me up to, if not participate, then outright mock.

magpie
Goat Avenger
Location: Riding with the League of Extraordinary Anti Goatfecking Gentlemen ...

Post by magpie » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:51 pm

sounds fun will try get there

:D

i like the winner and 6th place thing also

Mouldy Dog
WOOF!!!!

Post by Mouldy Dog » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:28 pm

:smt023

i will try and help out.....

:shock: :shock:

el toro
Met Dustin

Post by el toro » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:51 pm

i am very pleased to see that you have adopted the official semi-holy church of Lux rules for game play. our prayers will be with you.

jwd
kill kill kill™

cool

Post by jwd » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:48 pm

cool

only thing I'd change is no suicides period, and that #1 and #6 leave and the rest stay ;-)

Perhaps do that on the weekends?

Sooooo... count me in, where do I sign up???

No, *YOU* 'Submit'!!!

jwd

nietzsche
Lux Magician

Re: cool

Post by nietzsche » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:03 pm

this must be the longest game description ever...

... but if I'm around it sounds cool

:smt023

*Manimal
Lux Cutie Pet

Post by *Manimal » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:38 pm

magpie wrote: i like the winner and 6th place thing also
Thats cuz u either win or get sixth a third the time!!
Oh wait damn ...

smedz
Lux Scotsman

Re: cool

Post by smedz » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:32 am

jwd wrote:cool

only thing I'd change is no suicides period, and that #1 and #6 leave and the rest stay ;-)

Yeah I did mean no suicides at all, the revenge was just added colour, as for no periods - what a great idea, you can't play if you're on the rag.

General K
Lux KAPITALIST

Re: Lets try something new.

Post by General K » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:35 am

As I said it looks a nice idea. Count me in but maybe tonight is going to be difficult for me to join, as I will be attending a late meeting.

I think this is a subjective point:

smedz wrote:3. Any revenge suicides, Asshatting or Deliberate ploys to wreck another players enjoyment will result in immediate banning

How would you rate a move as half kill (failed elimination) or suicide if the intentions of the attacker were not clarified in the chat log?
Also if some guy pops a border and the other guy replies by popping back his opponent's border, would you rate that as vindictive or strategic move?

The question is... who decides on such subjective matter?

smedz
Lux Scotsman

Post by smedz » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:56 am

I said it was difficult to police and also said, we were all long enough in the tooth to know at the time how it is motivated, I think in most cases you can provide the benefit of the doubt. If i were to pop a border, I could justify why, I'm sure you could do likewise.

I'm hoping it will never come to this, Its about trying to set a tone and trying to play by it.

Rubinski
Luxer

Post by Rubinski » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:46 am

I think it would be a good idea to put the url of this thread in the gamedescription. But probably you already thought of that. :wink:

Hope I can drop by for a few games too tonight, c ya...

smedz
Lux Scotsman

Post by smedz » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:07 am

I've already thought of that :

"Make sure you read http://sillysoft.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9217 before entering. Please Try and Have Fun, This will only work with your cooperation"

Black Pope
Lux Exorcist

Post by Black Pope » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:10 am

In terms of suicides, I think it will be easy to judge.
Last night, in a game, Gav made a legitimate shot at me in eu. He had the men and could have pulled it off...I had five cards and looked yummy. He gave it a good go and his dice went poopy and I was left with five cards and six men. It was my turn next and I cashed (obviously) and reclaimed my eu continent.
I have seen numerous times where people's next move would have been to mad charge Gav in this case, but I didn't because it was a legitimate attempt. I had the men, but why punish him for a legitimate move?
A charge on my part would have been suicide, because I wouldn't have had cash, I think.
In the next game, I made a move on someone and my dice went poopy and the person took me out their next turn, giving them cash. I don't think that was suicide.
To me, that's the difference. If the move will profit you great. If it won't and its sole motivation is to punish or make someone else a better target, then it is suicide.

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:14 am

Black Pope wrote:In terms of suicides, ......If the move will profit you great. If it won't and its sole motivation is to punish or make someone else a better target, then it is suicide.
Could not agree more. Especially if making someone a better target, gets you 2nd place.

Kurtz
Mouth of Madness

Post by Kurtz » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:15 pm

I'm behind ya 100%, chief! :smt023

7pm GMT...

Kurtz look at his watch

hmmm...perhaps

Golgi
Luxologist

Post by Golgi » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:05 pm

What's that smell???

Golgi hates poopy dice, poopy diapers & GMT

:x

smedz
Lux Scotsman

Post by smedz » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:25 pm

Well its working so far ....
golfmannen wrote:I intend to visit all the countries in sa at the same time
golfmannen wrote:woo hoo i´m 6th
Participating Players Tonight Included : Smedz, Mouldy Dog, Augustus Maximus, Kain Mercenary, golfmannen, RCrum, SecondTermMistake, hoodie, Baden, pcristov, Kurtz, MrFrankRizzo, Tracker, Golgi, DesertFox, Geronimo, Spunkified, Nightowl, Ignominious, hubie , Black Pope, gav, SMU_David, Lars, el toro, Gen Baum, Wave21, Frost, ryanfaintich, SnyperEye, helen, haddock, kevquincey, ianhanson, Rex

Full report will follow tomorrow, along with suggestions for a little competition for MONDAY NIGHT LUX
Last edited by smedz on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Scad
Lux Elder

Post by Scad » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:53 pm

Crap. 7 GMT is like 3pm EST, right? I have a lab every monday from one to five... make sure this idea lives until next year, I wanna play too!

Ross42
Luxer

Post by Ross42 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:10 pm

Scad wrote:7 GMT is like 3pm EST, right? .... I wanna play too!
That's a couple of people making a similar point.

There's nothing stopping you setting up a room with the same rules at a more EST friendlier time.

I'm sure the royalty fee will be reasonably small.

Cheers,
Ross

(Just back from the Barrowlands and considering starting a "Only people who have seen Hayseed Dixie are allowed to post here" thread).

smedz
Lux Scotsman

Post by smedz » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:19 pm

If it catches on Im sure that can be arranged. I have some interesting plans, but need to keep tabs on the hosts applicable if only to keep an eye on the results, will post more ideas tomorrow.

Mouldy Dog
WOOF!!!!

Post by Mouldy Dog » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:23 pm

/me wonders if he qualifies......

ok i'll stop offending gav.....

:roll:

smedz
Lux Scotsman

Post by smedz » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:29 pm

I didnt mean who hosted, I meant the actual host itself, as in the games played and won.

8)

smedz
Lux Scotsman

Post by smedz » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:07 pm

Okay so night one is over, we welcomed a new luxer into the fold. ianhanson not only played his first unregistered game with us, he subsequently signed up and played 3 or 4 others. So welcome to ian. We welcomed back .... Kurtz, who played for most of the night. First time Ive seen Kurtz play seriously in almost a year.

We had many winners and many more losers, Hoodie was going for most 6ths in a row, not sure he pulled it off. We did manage around 25 games (i think) and only really had 2 small disputes all night. Noone was banned, noone was rude and noone was offended. I will post all the results tomorrow along with an informal league table. I'm looking for US based hosts to take this forward into the evening in the states and see if we can actually manage a real MONDAY NIGHT LUX competition.

I hope those that played enjoyed it and hope that the guesting out worked as intended. It certainly seemed to.

Cheers all

Kurtz
Mouth of Madness

Post by Kurtz » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:14 pm

Well, it took smedz to bring me out of retirement. It is a shame that we have to go out of our way to have a friendly game, but, so be it. I think it was a success. I actually won the very 1st game I was in, and then, just so no-one would actually think I was good, went on the lose all the rest....

Thanks Ian, and thanks to all who participated. I, for one, will try and set aside time on Mondays in support of Mr. Smith and his cause...

8)

Kain Mercenary
Luxer

Post by Kain Mercenary » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:48 pm

I think it all worked well. We worked out some small kinks throughout the day and there were surprisingly few arguments. I'll definitely be playing these games when I'm on.

Baden
Lux Elder

Post by Baden » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:25 pm

Sorry for spoilng the party, Ian. But I never play with a handbrake. You won't be able to define "playing for 2nd". What do you expect? Three players left. One of them very strong and about to win the game. Should I refrain from an attack in order to get surely 3rd?

I won a game, and in most (or all?) other games I manged to get 2nd. Seems you dislike that. But it is my style of play. If that doesn't correspond to your rules, no problem.

I will find another host, Baden is a good host.

jwd
kill kill kill™

Post by jwd » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:45 pm

Ross42 wrote:
Scad wrote:7 GMT is like 3pm EST, right? .... I wanna play too!
That's a couple of people making a similar point.

There's nothing stopping you setting up a room with the same rules at a more EST friendlier time.
Hey! What about us poor CST folks?!

;-)

/me mutters to self and looks for a host he wants to play... curses time zones...

No *YOU* 'Submit'!

jwd
Last edited by jwd on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drifter
Semiholy Rambler
Location: An undisclosed location... for reasons of security, and therefore... insecurity...

Post by Drifter » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:49 pm

jwd wrote:
Hey! What about us poor CST folks?!

Your two hours ahead of me, heh.

∞ Drifter shrugs. ∞

:roll:

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:37 am

no lux room is asshat proof

we will "stay the course" and you will not win