Is Transparency Possible?

Lux maps won't make themselves.
my wife hates me
Lux Elder

Is Transparency Possible?

Post by my wife hates me » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:17 am

Is transperency possible through a country's color over the backround image?

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest
Location: Sweden (capital of Denmark, an island in Norway, southern Europe)

Post by Preacherman » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:45 am

Lux also supports a foreground image and and overground image. The foreground is directly above the background and directly behind the countries, and is often used for showing terrain, for example. The overground is shown above the countries. Lux supports .png images, this allows transparency so just save your foreground or overground images in this format.

There's a lot more information available on these forums, try searching in the Map Lab forum for "overground" or "foreground", you'll get a whole bunch of results that will help you.

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:31 am

No, it's not possible for the country layer to be transparent since you can't control that layer. You can, however, create that effect by using the overground layer.

Here are the layers in Lux from top to bottom:
  1. Lux Top Layer
  2. Overground Layer
  3. Lux Polygon Layer
  4. Foreground Layer
  5. Background Layer
The only layers you can control are the Background, Foreground and Overground.

The Background layer shows through when none of the other layers are covering it.

The Foreground layer only shows through where the polygons are set in the map. If you don't create your own foreground image, the default Lux one will be used.

The Lux polygon layer displays the country polygons. The polygons are filled with the player colors. This layer is semi-transparent (70% opacity.)

The Overground layer is the top-most layer you can control. In order to show the map polygons and the background image, you need to have transparent areas. You must save this as a png file in order for the transparency to work.

The Top Lux layer is at the top, and displays the army numbers, army graphics, and the red attack arrows.

my wife hates me
Lux Elder

Thanx

Post by my wife hates me » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:32 pm

Thank Freakin God!!! You guys rule! Having worked in print, png files were these scary files that screwed up anything pretaining to postscript lv2. Both answeres are gonna make it so easy for me to waste time now... Thanks!