This Guide is written and maintained by SecondTermMistake, regarding playing Lux with Classic Risk - 4,6,8,10,15,20,... - 0% - 30s
The Lux world is a better place if new players learn basic strategy quickly. Playing Lux is a lot different from those used to the Risk board game. It's faster paced and without a basic understanding new players often make mistakes that make more experience players furious.
Whenever I meet a new player I try to coach them in the basics, and this Wiki page is my intention to collect some of the details from conversations I have with new players to help them learn the basics.
How to Play: Classic Risk - 4,6,8,10,15,20,... - 0% - 30s
- Play every turn to win.
- Each turn in Risk you place armies, attack, and fortify.
- The key to winning is having more armies than your opponents.
- A good starting strategy is to attack 1 empty country per turn. That way you get your card each turn, and you lose a minimum number of armies.
- DON'T WASTE ARMIES
- Make sure you have the Player Info window open so you can monitor how many armies and cards each player has.
- Don't worry too much about getting a continent. If there is one easy for you to get, without wasting too many armies, then go for it. But go slowly.
- Games are won with cards. The bonus value of cards goes up very fast.
- Slowly build your armies, collecting cards each turn.
- When you kill another player you get their cards, but you can only cash them immediately if you have 5 or more cards after you kill them. Otherwise you have to wait until your next turn, which means someone might kill you in the meantime.
- You should usually only attack another player if you're going to kill them. If you don't kill them, then you're just wasting your armies and making the other players in the game stronger.
- You should only kill a player if after killing them, you take their cards, and cash them, for more armies than it cost you to kill them. Always count carefully.
- GO SLOWLY
- Open the Player Info window.
- this game is won by the LEAST amount of fighting possible. -microtonal
- If it looks like you're going to die, don't suicide your armies against someone else. This ruins the game for not only them, but everyone else too.
▉ SecondTermMistake: When a player asks you to farm, they mean to use your armies
▉ SecondTermMistake: that are in their way, to attack an empty country
▉ SecondTermMistake: and get a card
▉ SecondTermMistake: It helps you both, because your armies get out of their way,
▉ SecondTermMistake: and you don't have to waste any other armies to get a card that turn.
▉ SecondTermMistake: (since they're likely to eventually kill those armies they're asking you to farm)
There's more on the collective Strategy page.